Altered File Folders

I somehow stumbled on Patty Bennett's tutorial for altered file folders last fall, thankfully! They are so cute and incredibly simple to make - after the first one, make sure to use a generic folder first so you 'get' what to do, after that, super simple!

I'd venture to say that just about anyone who knows me received one of these at Christmas! They're just that cute and easy to make! I started out with the SU! Thoroughly Modern file folders, but three orders later I decided to stop waiting on Mr. Brown and headed out to Office Max and Staples to see what they had. Oh my, I was in file folder puppy love, lol :)



This set of folders came from the clearance shelf at WalMart. The quality isn't as thick as the other sets, but I didn't find that to be a big deal since they're a disposable item. I also didn't realize until I got them home and opened that the insides had large polka dots - how cute!

Two tips I found helpful... I cut the left and right sides of the bottom flat that folds up at a slight, maybe 1/4", angle before putting adhesive on it. I also found out after my sister actually used the flap to hold things that by using a foam tape (her idea!) instead of flat adhesive, it makes it easier to 'use' the pocket on the left...gives it a little wiggle room!

If you're using a Scor-Pal instead of a paper trimmer with a scoring blade, you can find revised instructions On Papercraft Planet that might help. Then again, I tend to do things backwards, so maybe it only helped me ;)